There’s nothing better than slow cooking a stew in a dutch oven, perhaps on the top of a hill – many miles away from civilisation! Just picture that scenario of pure relaxation and freedom – fantastic!
A Dutch Oven makes a great gift idea too!
So, imagine being out and about for a day, maybe walking or enjoying a countryside pastime with your family or friends then, when it gets near to lunch time, you can all enjoy a nice hot stew, freshly made from your own Dutch oven.
All you will need to do is make a safe camp fire (using coals is best) and then carefully place your Dutch oven on top of the fire and follow the cooking instructions below.
Also, below is an example of a venison stew recipe, but feel free to add your own favourite veggies to the dish or alternatively substitute any of the vegetables you don’t like with something else! Then, simply stew and enjoy!
Preparation time: 10mins
Cooking time: 1hour
- 1 medium sliced onion
- 2 chopped cloves of garlic
- 2 medium green peppers
- 2 medium yellow peppers
- 3 medium potatoes
- 4 medium whole onions
- 4 medium carrots
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 pounds of cubed venison
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 bottle of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to the dutch oven and fry the sliced onion and garlic until lightly brown.
- Add ‘cubed’ venison to the oven and cook until lightly brown
- While the meat is browning, dice the peppers, potatoes and carrots and set aside
- When all the meat is brown, add a cup of water and a can of chopped tomatoes and stir all the ingredients together
- Add whole onions to the ingredients
- Add more water, until all the ingredients are completely covered
- Season to taste
- Add the dutch oven lid and carefully place hot coals on the lid for an all round cook
- Carefully place the dutch oven on or near the hot coals and cook for 1 hour
Venison Stew cooked in a dutch oven. Image source: Pinterest
A dutch oven is so easy to use! Enjoy your stew!
Please always take great care when using a Dutch Oven and keep yourself -and others- safe!