Are you visiting the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow this year? Well, it looks like it’s going to be a great event, whether watching it all on telly or, even better, you are intending to be there in person!
Of course if you are taking a trip to Glasgow and its surrounding areas you’ll soak up what undoubtedly will be a great atmosphere – but do be sure to dress for all weathers!
More about what to wear later but, first, one or two interesting facts about the Commonwealth Games:
- The games were held for the first time ever in Canada in 1930
- In 1930, the games were given the title ‘The British Empire Games’
- It wasn’t until 1978 that the games were referred to as ‘The Commonwealth Games’ for the very first time
- Since 1930, the games have been held every four years (The only exception being during WWII)
- In 1930, 11 countries and 400 athletes took part in the games
- Now, in 2014 there are 6,500 athletes taking part in 17 different sports over the 11 day period
- After the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in Scotland, venue for the next games is Gold Coast in Australia, scheduled for 2018
- Of the 53 countries who are members of the Comonwealth, India has the largest population (1.17 Billion) and TuValu has the smallest population (10,000). Out of interest, just to get you thinking, what would you say the population of South Africa is?
- This is the 3rd time that the games have been held in Scotland (23rd July-3rd August 2014)
So, what should you – and yours- think about wearing to make sure you are warm, comfortable and dry when at the games? (It can actually get quite cold towards the evening time, even in July)
Well, whether you are attending the opening and closing ceremanies, enjoying the games as they happen or perhaps being entertained at the four venues earmarked for the ‘Glasgow Festival 2014’, you could consider some of the following items:
- Floral Designer Wellingtons – for wet days
- Italian Leather Walking Boots
- Lightweight waterproof walking shoe such as the Grisport ‘Active’ Hamilton Shoe
- Lightweight micro fleece such as the Craghoppers Corey Fleece
- Lightweight quilted jacket
- Lightweight walking trousers
- Sun Hat
- Money Belt – to keep money secure
Please take a look at our website for further information about our full range of items or, if you prefer, please telephone 01978 437029 to speak to a helpful member of our team who will be delighted to advise you on the best products to suit your needs.
Glasgow’s Festival 2014
Entertainment will be offered, from as early as 19th July, at four key venues:
1. Glasgow Green Live Zone
Enjoy music from many Commonwealth Countries – and of course Scotland – as you listen to Jazz, Pop, Rock, Hip Hop and Classical being played live from 24th July. Oh and its free!
2. Merchant City Festival
More live bands, family fun and street performers to keep you entertained along with shopping opportunities from the International market stalls selling crafts, gifts and food aplenty! All from July 24th
3. Kelvingrove Bandstand
You could visit a family friendly show at this recently refurbished Bandstand area (a fantastic £1.8 million refurbishment) in Kelvingrove Park, in West Glasgow
4. BBC at the Quay
The BBC has organsied a ‘Pop Up Festival’ from July 18th! This will be at BBC Scotland’s Head Quarters at Pacific Quay, offering comedy, sport and music and the opportunity to see live broadcasts taking place, such as The One Show and BBC Radio 2’s Ken Bruce show!
Whatever takes your fancy, we hope you and whoever you have with you , all have a great time! Remember, please do feel free to take apeek at our website or, contact us directly, if you would like tipcs, hints or advice on what to wear for any these great occasions!
Incidentally, further advice on tickets for the ‘Glasgow Festival 2014’ events can be sourced from the Ticket Office (9am – 6pm week days/ 9am – 1pm Saturdays and Sundays). The office can be contacted by email email@example.com or by phoning 0800 4582014.
Oh, by the way, in case you’re wondering, the population of South Africa is 52 million!
Enjoy Glasgows and have lots of fun!